Thursday, September 24, 2009

Today's Pre Vet Society Meeting: PARROTS!



So, I'm part of the Pre Vet Society, naturally. I think they're lame (disorganized, blah blah) but whatever, it's what we've got.

Anyway, today's meeting was about the Exotic Avian Husbandry class at Cornell. It was a little intro to the class.

So of course, we had exotic avians! These are the birds used in the class, and their breeders teach the course I guess. I don't know.

Anyway, we learned a few things about each bird... and parrot people are a little weird but I think you have to be if you're going to raise parrots for a living. Parrots need a lot of scoial interaction, so you kind of have to talk to it and treat it like a person.
Anyway, these were an entertaining bunch of people.

Here are the parrots!

I'm not in any of the pics, sorry, I didnt have time to put myself in a picture.



Fernando. He bit a girl because she moved to fast for him and pissed him off. Duh, you're going to piss of the parrot if you jerk your arm around.


This is... I don't remember. This is a blue winged macaw. I think.


This is Riba, a scarlet macaw.






And this is Jasmine! The sweetest cockatoo. She likes getting her belly rubbed, or as her owner would call it, "smushed."

I learned a few things from this meeting. One, cockatoos are really clever. Two, macaws like to play rough. And three, cockatoos have a lot of white powder in their feathers which makes them feel like they're covered in talcum powder. So cute!

Yay, that was my excitement for the week.


Next up, Friday night fun! With pictures of myself, but I don't look any different, people.
And, my Niagra Falls trip on Saturday! With my dorm.
And Ithaca Apple Fest in downtown Ithaca on Sunday! Whoooot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quotes

POOP FIGHT!
 

Moobaby | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates